Tuesday, September 24th, 2019
The Enemy's Game: God's All Stars--Mary
And Mary said:
'My soul magnifies the Lord,
And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
For He Who is mighty has done great things for me,
And holy is His Name.
And His mercy is on those who fear Him,
From generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His Arm;
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
And exalted the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
And the rich He has sent away empty...'
Luke 1:46-53 (NKJV)
As a teen, Mary* chose a hero's life: accepting an angel's invitation, walking the way of nonconformity, sacrificing her sweet reputation, risking the rejection of her betrothed, facing a possible death by stoning, giving her future entirely to God... because He called her, and Mary agreed.
Consider her gentle, but daring moves.
1) Mary came from Nazareth, a village, a small bump-on-the-map of Israel, and surely no one's impressive mecca, along with people considered 'country.'
2) When God's angel presented His big news, Mary was humble, but curious to discover how such a thing could happen. Gabriel patiently explained the steps.
3) Whether or not Mary counted the costs of a pregnancy without a husband, she stepped forward in joyful abandon: treasuring her God-given appointment.
4) Then she went on an adventurous trip to visit her cousin, Elizabeth, who received her own growing miracle. Surely, they shared the deepest communion.
5) Mary's life was a walk of faith and works. In obedience and contemplation, she followed her Lord and husband's leading. She modeled both grace and humility.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: what can a simple girl share with you?
Maybe simplicity is godly, because too many things can bind you.
Maybe people raised in country air show God a fresh, open excitement.
Maybe certain girls will hear God's call, and certain parents will respect it.
Maybe peer pressure's unimportance, when following a calling from God.
Maybe faith is shown in submission, and courage is shown in responding.
## The Enemy's Game: God's All Stars--Mary (Part 89)
* Short article: Do You Trust Me? The Story of Joseph and Mary: https://bible.org/seriespage/11-do-you-trust-me-story-joseph-and-mary
* Short article: Joseph, Husband of Mary: http://www.biblestudytools.com/encyclopedias/isbe/joseph-husband-of-mary.html
NOTE: This series is a republished edit of a 2015 devotion series called, 'The Enemy's Game.' You may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' If you're not a performer, don't be deterred. In truth, every disciple acts for Christ, models Christ and stewards His talents.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the The Enemy's Game series.