Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014
Acting School (Part 22)
To Protect And Defend: The Saints
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints--and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the Gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
Ephesians 6:18-20 (NKJV)
Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My Name's sake.
Matthew 24:9 (NKJV)
But now indeed there are many members, yet one body... And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it.
1 Corinthians 12:20, 26 (NKJV)
'Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?' Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.'
Matthew 25:44-45 (NKJV)
'According to The Pew Research Center, almost 75% of the world's population lives in areas with severe religious restrictions. Many of these people are Christians' (Open Doors, World Watch List).* Today, fifty nations actively persecute Christians--by threats, attacks, imprisonment and death.
Some of the most barbarous assaults are against women and children. American Christians: while you shop for shoes and iPhones, while you enjoy freedom and prosperity, while you cozy up with your small group for coffee and prayer, are you mindful of the suffering of your fellow saints?
With the bombardment of media hustling us towards idol worship, our eyes, ears, bellies and bodies are filled by the world's opulence. It's just plain hard to remember there's a war out there--that millions of Christians live in grievous conditions we cannot begin to imagine. But shouldn't we try?
What can actors, models and talent for Christ do? Consider the land we possess: America owns media. Our big shows and famous faces circle the globe. Our celebrities influence culture internationally. Sadly, our news networks prefer to focus on small sights, rather than global blights.
The worldwide persecution of Christians gains little press and less sympathy than various self-centered minority groups; they cry out for 'equal rights' to similarly self-centered majority groups. Considered together, Americans act like a bunch of spoiled kids--whining while our overseas cousins lay hungry, thirsty, naked, sick and imprisoned.
Here's what you can do:
1) Stay mindful of the suffering saints. Pray for them without ceasing. Donate to the ministries that can help them.*
2) If God places a suffering saint in your path, go out of your way to help him. Live the life of the Good Samaritan.
3) As you rise in media, millions of eyes will look up to you. When they do, point them in the right direction: toward Jesus. Use your fame to bring attention to those who are persecuted--that others, with the ways and means to give assistance, will be moved to their urgent cause.
To Be Continued...
* Help your persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ! Open Doors USA: http://www.opendoorsusa.org
* Help your persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ! Persecution Project: http://persecutionproject.org
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Acting School series.