Thursday, August 6th, 2015
All Things (Part 20)
I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
John 10:10 (NASB)
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.
2 Corinthians 9:8 (NKJV)
Q #1: If God 'Gives us richly all things to enjoy' (1 Timothy 6:17), then can't we enjoy the riches we pursue?
Q #2: If John prayed for us to 'Prosper in all things' (3 John 1:2), then can't we follow prosperity preachers?
A #1: We must not pursue riches. 'Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you' (Matthew 6:33). If we seek Him first, His blessings will pursue us.
A #2: We must not follow people. 'If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me' (Matthew 16:24). Big talking preachers aren't into self-denial.
Nevertheless, be encouraged. God is not a skimpy Giver. Instead, He exceeds abundance. Consider a few of His ways: Earth is rich in all types of life; He cares for each of them Himself; His blessings cannot be numbered; He gave to us His only Son. So here's the heart of the matter:
Perhaps God defines His gifts of abundance with a much broader stroke than do we. If we reduce them to earthly treasures, we've been blinded by the god of this world. When rich men are asked their greatest regret, most reply: they spent their time unwisely. They pursued the wrong kinds of abundance.
Like abundant rooms in their houses, assets in their banks, clothes in their closets, jewels in their chests, cars in their driveways, awards on their shelves, titles on their names and pats on their backs.
But God ties abundance to these words: justice, satisfaction, peace, mercy, lovingkindness, truth, redemption, goodness, strength, pardon, grace, comfort, joy and entrance into the kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.*
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Earthly prosperity is one thing. Heavenly wealth is a better thing. Don't let the father of lies fool you. In God's abundance are true riches.
To Be Continued...
* God links these words with abundance. Verse references are listed in order, starting with the word...
* Justice: Job 37:23: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Job+37%3A23&version=NKJV
* Satisfaction: Psalm 36:8: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ps+36%3A8&version=NKJV
* Peace: Psalm 72:7: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ps+72%3A7&version=NKJV
* Mercy: Psalm 86:5: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ps+86%3A5&version=NKJV
* Lovingkindness and Truth: Psalm 86:15: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ps+86%3A15&version=NASB
* Redemption: Psalm 130:7: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+130%3A7&version=NASB
* Goodness: Psalm 145:7: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+145%3A7&version=NASB
* Strength: Psalm 147:5: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+147%3A5&version=NASB
* Pardon: Isaiah 55:7: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+55%3A7&version=NASB
* Grace: Acts 4:33: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+4%3A33&version=NASB
* Comfort: 2 Corinthians 1:5: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Corinthians+1%3A5&version=NASB
* Joy: 2 Corinthians 8:2: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Corinthians+8%3A2&version=NASB
* Entrance into the Kingdom of God: 2 Peter 1:10-12: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Peter+1%3A10-12&version=NASB
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the All Things series.