Wednesday, April 13th, 2016
Bad Ideas (Part 14)
He's Got Demons!
Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. And all the multitudes were amazed and said, 'Could this be the Son of David?'
Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, 'This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.'
But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: 'Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand?... But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you.'
Matthew 12:22-26,28 (NKJV)
Regarding the possibility of demonic possession or oppression, consider three of the viewpoints among modern Christians in progressive nations:
1. Demons are ignored as non-existent and unacceptable in church settings. Mental conditions are treated with drugs and/or psychological counseling.
2. Demons are real, but can't be in Christians. Deliverance is just for outsiders, although they don't know enough to get help. If demons surround us, we need to pray.*
3. Demons hound us everywhere all the time. When we act badly, a demon's involved. If someone does something that disturbs us, we'll call him out as Satan's agent.
That's what the Pharisees said to Jesus after learning He healed a tortured man. Then God's Word exposed their faulty logic, as no one can win against Perfection.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Ignoring demons is dangerous. The Bible says they don't ignore us, so acting like a war isn't there makes us senselessly vulnerable. At the same time, let's not point fingers like judges at Salem's witch trials.
If our eyes hunt evil in others, we're better hunting first in ourselves.
'The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!' (Matthew 6:22-23).
To Be Continued...
* I agree prayer is the first line of defense against demons, as well as dressing for success in the Armor of God: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=eph+6%3A10-18&version=NKJV
* A majority of pastors believe Spirit-Filled Christians cannot be possessed by demons. http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-demon-possessed.html. However, some famous theologians believe Spirit-filled Christians can not only be oppressed (on the outside) but possessed as well. Derek Prince (1915-2003) is one. I respect him and have read several of his books. http://www.derekprince.org/Shop/Sections/Section.aspx?section_id=1000003350
* Previous AMTC Devotion Series on Deliverance (50 parts): http://amtcdevotions.org/deliverance-part-1-what-about-it
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Bad Ideas series.