Tuesday, April 19th, 2016
Bad Ideas (Part 20)
He's Talking To Her?
'Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in Spirit and truth...'
The woman said to Him, 'I know that Messiah is coming' (Who is called Christ). 'When He comes, He will tell us all things.'
Jesus said to her, 'I Who speak to you am He.'
And at this point His disciples came, and they marveled that He talked with a woman...
John 4:21-27 (NKJV)*
I believe our Lord's encounter with the Samaritan woman is pivotal. It gives crucial redirection to God's chosen people, in terms of their worship. His first disciples came to embrace these compelling new Orders, but do we now?
Consider some lessons we can learn from Him talking to her:
1. We must not think any person or culture is beneath us: no sinner, gender, nation or differing set of beliefs.
2. We should look for common ground to begin good conversations. In the meeting of Jesus and the woman, it was water.
3. Although His disciples went into her city to buy food, Jesus implied God's wonderful work is better nourishment.
4. Our Great High Priest revealed a new way, means and style of worship: not in a physical place, but in His spiritual truth.
5. One woman's testimony sparked a city's transformation. These outsiders believed Jesus even without miracles.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: No matter how lovely it may be or how established in your city, no church building is God's chosen house. His chosen house of worship is you:
'Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit Who is in you, Whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your Spirit, which are God's' (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).
For you are 'His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand' (Ephesians 2:10) so that you would walk in them. 'You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ' (1 Peter 2:5).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Jesus wasn't talking just to her, He's also talking to you, today.
To Be Continued
* The entire story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman and village: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+4%3A1-42&version=NKJV
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Bad Ideas series.