I myself will be surety for him; from my hand you shall require him. If I do not bring him back to you and set him before you, then let me bear the blame forever.
But when Simon Peter saw that, he fell down at Jesus' Feet, saying, 'Go away from me Lord, for I am a sinful man!'
Wow! Wow! Wow! Jesus took the rap for us: He bore our sins up a hill to His death:
* Knowing we've all messed up and fallen short,
* Taking our guilty verdicts to the Cross,
* Nailing them through His Skin for all to see,
* Bleeding through past, present and future sins,
* Carrying our filth into a tomb, then...
* Emerging clean and totally free, while...
* Declaring each one of us innocent!
But in one way, we're charged to come clean first: We've got to own all the bad things we've done, by taking full responsibility, witnessed by our authentic contrition.
'My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart You, God, will not despise' (Psalm 51:17, NLKV).
'The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit' (Psalm 34:18, NKJV)
Responsibility 101: Taking the full responsibility for our own acts, with no if's, and's or but's.
Responsibility 201: Taking the full responsibility for another person or for a group.
Responsibility PhD: Jesus took full responsibility for the entire world. He owns this degree.
## Bearing Responsibility (Part 8)
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Bearing series.