Sunday, October 21st, 2018
Beautiful! Like Esther: God's Version Of Beauty
The Lord said to Samuel, 'Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'
1 Samuel 16:7 (NLT)
Of people called beautiful or handsome, consider some Old Testament stunners:
Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel, Joseph, Moses, King Saul, King David, Eliab (David's brother), Absalom and Adonijah (David's sons), Tamar, Bathsheba, Abigail (Nabal's wife, who later married David), Queen Vashti, Esther, Job's daughters (after his trial), and the Beloved (in the Song of Solomon).*
Six in this group committed grievous sins.** Thereafter, they were not so beautiful. Others, like Esther, glowed inside and out.
So what is our Lord's version of beauty?
1) The steadfast hope of a stricken leper.
2) The joyful faith of an innocent child.
3) The charity of a starving widow.
4) The candor of a desperate father.
5) The fervor of a short tax collector.
6) The contrition of a prodigal son.
7) The drive of four men carrying their friend.
8) The restoration of a withered hand.
9) The mercy of a good Samaritan.
10) The courage of disciples who follow.
As a proud Father loving His children, God envisions us as He designed us: uniquely and perfectly beautiful. He celebrates every small step of faith.
He strengthens us through physical burdens, embracing every scar, face, style and smile, realizing our glorious conclusion.
## Beautiful Like Esther: God's Version Of Beauty
* Short article: Beautiful People of the Bible:
** Rachel, Eliab, King Saul, Absalom, Adonijah and Queen Vashti
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Beautiful! Like Esther series.