Wednesday, January 28th, 2015
Becoming (Part 6)
Becoming Little Children*
Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3-4 (NKJV)
'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.'
Nicodemus said to Him, 'How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?'
Jesus answered, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.'
John 3:3-5 (NASB)
Through my grandchildren, I'm learning about small kids again. When my own girls were young, I was too full of myself to learn from them--or God. By His grace, I've changed. A new heart is the best start. Even so, I have a lot more growing down to do: 'He must increase, but I must decrease' (John 3:30).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: You have new hearts, too. So act them out. Living like little kids is a role we're called to play. Consider how:
1) Become excited! Be thrilled with your journey as a performer: To kids, an audition is as fun as a job. Audience size is irrelevant. Just doing what you love is the cool part.
2) Become faithful! Be bold enough to jump into your next adventure, like a child who leaps into his father's car. You're not worried about food, clothes or tomorrow. Your father's got that covered.
3) Become deeper! Be unconcerned with the color, age, education, status or wealth of the people you meet. Look for real smiles and kind eyes. Instinctively, babies see the soul beneath the skin.
4) Become forgiving! Be quick to forget an argument and quicker to love again, because every little kid completely gets it. They're laughing in no time at all. There's nothing they won't forgive.
5) Become obedient! Be the good child who learns the easy way. Obey your Father. Respect your elders. Clean up your mess. Help your brothers. Share with others.
6) Become humble! Be small enough to know you can't do anything worthwhile alone. Nor do you deserve any credit. Only God's work will stand the test of time, so ask His help.
7) Become delightful! Be a pleasure to others. Children require a lot of care, but their joy makes it fun. If you're nice to everybody, you'll make a lot of friends.
8) Become open! Expect God's miracles. When you wait with eager attendance, God always delivers. How many skeptical toddlers do you know? Zero, so join that club.
9) Become active! Be a mover, shaker and explorer. Children seldom settle, except to sleep. Seek out new wonders, and God will provide them.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Cherish your innocence. Protect it, 'That you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world' (Philippians 2:15).
To Be Continued...
* Previous AMTC Devotion series: Acting Like Children: http://amtcdevotions.org/acting-like-kids-the-issues-part-1
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Becoming series.