Saturday, August 11th, 2012
Deal Breakers (Part 13, Conclusion)
And God said: 'This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth.'
Genesis 9:12-13 (NKJV)
And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you.
Genesis 17:7 (NKJV)
For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Matthew 26:28 (NKJV)
A deal is an agreement. An agreement is a covenant. A covenant with God is sacred and eternal. The word 'covenant' appears 315 times in the Bible. But even among people, breaking a deal has a bigger impact than we know.
That's why Jesus cautions us about oaths and agreements. 'Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No' ' (Matthew 5:37). But the earth pushes us for more. In fact, we can hardly work without deals. God knows, and I believe He protects us. But His rules do not change. We need to honor the deals we make and not break them.
Including deals with Hollywood--to go into this world as ambassadors of Christ: to step into the world's spotlight with extraordinary good news. To introduce Jesus to a world that has not seen Him. Because you are His Body, His witness, and His communication task force. Life and death are at stake for millions.
Satan knows these stakes, and he's on the job of deal breaking 24/7. He doesn't want you in the entertainment industry. But God does. So listen to Him and not to him. Don't be manipulated, and keep your commitments--even when they hurt (see Psalm 15:4).
To recap common deal breakers faced by actors, models, and talent for Christ:
1) Homesickness: Focus on your true home, Heaven, and helping others get there.
2) Bad Foundation: Remember The Rock. Practice being a chip off of It.
3) Wrong Priorities: Make a prayerful and practical daily To Do list.
4) Insecurity: Believe in God's ability. Put on confidence.
5) Negativity: You're an actor. So act positive and respectful no matter what.
6) Impatience: Entertainment is a 'hurry up and wait' industry. Appreciate it.
7) Instability: Keep your eyes on God. Hold the course. Keep your word.
8) Poor Eating Habits: Eat God's foods. Avoid junk. Stay fit. Be an example.
9) Partying: Keep good company. Grow up in Christ. Don't condemn others.
10) Money Mismanagement: Budget, learn, tithe, work, and believe God.
11) Holier Than Thou: Cast no stones. Do not judge, but love.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Deal Breakers series.