Tuesday, August 25th, 2015
Deliverance (Part 16)
It Happens In Church
Now in the synagogue there was a man who had a spirit of an unclean demon.
Luke 4:33 (NKJV)*
Now He was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. And behold, there was a woman who had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bent over and could in no way raise herself up.
Luke 13:10-11 (NKJV)*
The man with an unclean spirit made a loud, ugly outcry in the temple. The woman with a spirit of infirmity was a quiet sufferer. These burdened believers were delivered by Jesus in houses of worship. Therein, God gives examples: demonic deliverance can happen in church.
Were they pre-planned and orderly procedures? Were they scheduled in each temple's agenda? Surely not. In the case of the man, he ranted and fell on the floor. In the case of the woman, she rose and gloried God.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: consider three things:
1) Believers can be possessed. Were they filled with God's Spirit? I believe that's unlikely, as the New Testament Pentecost hadn't happened yet. Even so, this man and woman loved God and worshipped Him.
2) Jesus dismissed protocol. He rose to the cause of oppressed and suffering people. If religion's about rules, Jesus was about mercy: inconvenient compassion. Will our churches do likewise?
3) As a church of big movement, will you move to the hurting? Will you move to learn more on the act of deliverance? Even if it's not pretty or not what you planned to do? Brethren are afflicted, too.
To Be Continued...
* Full story of the man in the synagogue with the spirit of an unclean demon: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+4%3A31-37&version=NKJV
* Full story of the woman in the synagogue with a spirit of infirmity: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+13%3A10-17&version=NKJV
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Deliverance series.