Sunday, September 13th, 2015
Deliverance (Part 35)
The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but deliverance is of the Lord.
Proverbs 21:31 (NKJV)
My Father has been working and I have been working.
John 5:17 (NKJV)
Honestly, I'm not a disciple of self-help books. Thousands of authors give lines to millions of readers. However, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. His one true Book gives life Lines from Boss to believer. In terms of work, it's a unique collaboration.
He's the Author, Director and Finisher. Our wholehearted performance comes in between. It's like this: We do our best, God does the rest. He's more interested in our sincere efforts than He is in our actual achievements. Because no one can top off a job like Him.
In the business of human deliverance, consider a few of our supporting roles:
1) A callout for humility: 'By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches and honor and life' (Proverbs 22:4). 'Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up' (James 4:10).
2) A search for wisdom and knowledge: 'Whoever walks wisely will be delivered' (Proverbs 28:26); 'Through knowledge the righteous will be delivered' (Proverbs 11:9).
3) A warning to wayward brethren: 'If you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness... he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul' (Ezekiel 3:19).
4) A request for a godly song: 'You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance' (Psalm 32:7).*
5) A script to speak positive words: 'The mouth of the upright will deliver them' (Proverbs 12:6). 'Death and life are in the power of the tongue' (Proverbs 18:21).
6) A prompting to flee from evil: 'Avoid it, do not travel on it; Turn away from it and pass on' (Proverbs 4:15). 'Deliver yourself like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter...' (Proverbs 6:5).
No, we can't deliver ourselves from evil. But we can do our best while God does the rest.
To Be Continued...
* 'After consulting the people, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the Lord... they went out at the head of the army...' (2 Chronicles 20:21).