Tuesday, September 15th, 2015
Deliverance (Part 37)
When you cry out, let your collection of idols deliver you. But the wind will carry them all away, a breath will take them. But he who puts his trust in Me shall possess the land, and shall inherit My holy mountain.
Isaiah 57:13 (NKJV)
When I was a child, I believed my parents could deliver me from everything. So I clung to them. When I was a teen, I believed school and friends could deliver me from loneliness. So I followed them. When I turned twenty, I believed Buddhism could deliver me from hopelessness. So I made a vow.
As I grew older, I believed my business could deliver me from need or want. So I worked a lot. When I had children, I believed my family was my foremost security. So I looked to them. Now in my 60s, I'm tempted to believe my IRA is quite important. But then I just smile. God has taught me much.
Christians know only One can deliver. Even so, let's Cross-examine ourselves. Do we bank our trust on worldly values?
1) Money? 'They will throw their silver into the streets, and their gold will be like refuse; Their silver and their gold will not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the Lord' (Ezekiel 7:19).
2) Celebrity? 'Those who make an image, all of them are useless, and their precious things shall not profit... He falls down before it and worships it, prays to it and says, 'Deliver me, for you are my god!' ' (Isaiah 44:9,17).
3) Power? 'The strong shall not strengthen his power, nor shall the mighty deliver himself; He shall not stand who handles the bow, the swift of foot shall not escape' (Amos 2:14-15).
4) Possessions? 'Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal... For after all these things the Gentiles seek' (Matthew 6:19,32)
5) People? 'It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man' (Psalm 118:8). 'For the Lord has rejected your trusted allies, and you will not prosper by them' (Jeremiah 2:37).
6) Brains? 'The wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, 'He catches the wise in their own craftiness'... 'The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile' ' (1 Corinthians 3:19-20).
7) Beauty? 'Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him... for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart' (1 Samuel 16:7).
8) Nation? 'When a land sins against Me by persistent unfaithfulness, I will stretch out My Hand against it...' (Ezekiel 14:13). 'I have destroyed nations; their strongholds are demolished' (Zephaniah 3:6).
9) Church? 'Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven' (Matthew 7:21). 'There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth' (Luke 13:28).
Brethren, we're tempted to place our time, talents and trust in worldly values. But nothing this world loves will be able to stand in the Day of the Lord. Only Jesus, plus everyone who loves, believes and follows Him, will stand.
To Be Continued...
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Deliverance series.