Monday, April 29th, 2019
Do-Gooders: Fight Differently
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 6:12 (NASB)
Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.
Matthew 26:52 (NASB)*
While we fight the good fight of Jesus Christ,
While He commissioned us as His soldiers,
While the world today is clearly evil,
While media promotes idol worship,
While some Christians shout and point mean fingers,
While others seem to worship idols, too,
While many seclude themselves in proud pews...
A few step up and fight... differently.
Because God's Word and Spirit equip us with victorious battle strategies:
1) Our real enemy is Satan himself. He and his spirits are invisible. Although they use and influence people, hitting a demon-possessed lunatic is as fruitless now as it was back then.** To fight and win, we must attack the source. Otherwise, we're whacking a stubborn weed: leaving the root, so it grows back stronger.
2) The film, War Room, said to fight through prayer. The Bible illustrates the same process. Prayer can invoke warrior angels, whom the Lord commissions on our behalf. Prayer can invoke His Holy Spirit, Who flattens mountains and evicts demons. Prayer can change impossible missions to rousing come-from-behind victories.***
3) God's soldiers are offered defensive gear. This piece-by-piece assembly of armor is detailed by Paul: God's tested leader. With amazing wins in hostile places, few heroes have survived and thrived better. To study Paul's missionary campaigns is to watch a master for all ages: both in combat and in diplomacy.****
4) Our chief offensive weapon is God's Word. With It, a physically weakened Christ subdued Satan in His desert trials. But remember, Satan knows God's Word, too, and he tried to deceive the hungry Man. Obviously, his deceptions fell flat. Our take-home lesson? Seasoned warriors must know God's Word well.*****
5) In the realm of diverse humanity and all the outsiders who don't know Christ, our best weapons aren't offensive at all. In fact, they're calming, peaceful and helpful. They're Good News, kind words and genuine smiles. They're the Bread of Life and Living Water. They're forgiveness and spiritual fruit: stunning acts which draw people to the Lord.******
Actors, models and talent for Christ, become surprising solders of love.
## Do-Gooders: Fight Differently (Part 88)
* 'In whatever other cause it may be lawful to use carnal weapons, it is not wise or right to draw the sword for Christ and His Truth' (Ellicott's Commentary on Matthew 26:52).
** The Gerasene Demoniac: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+5%3A1-20&version=NASB
*** The Kendrick Brother's Website and War Room resources: https://kendrickbrothers.com
**** The Armor of God: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians%206:10-18
***** Satan Tempts Jesus: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+4%3A1-13&version=NKJV
****** The Fruit of the Holy Spirit: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=gal+5%3A22-23&version=NKJV
NOTE: This series is a republished edit of a 2016 series called, 'Do-Gooders.' In these devotions, you may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' I have not changed this designation. Because in a greater sense, every disciple of Christ acts for Christ, models Christ and stewards His talents, from which God expects a profit.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Do-Gooders series.