Thursday, January 19th, 2017
Do-Gooders (Part 65)
Guard Their Hearts
Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.
Matthew 15:19 (NKJV)
Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life.
Proverbs 4:23 (NKJV)
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10 (NKJV)
If our hearts are deceitful and evil, if our hearts are unrepentant and stubborn, if our hearts can be foolish and darkened, if our hearts can be calloused and hardened, if our hearts don't match our professing mouths, if our hearts are always going astray, if our hearts can commit adultery, if our hearts can completely defile us, if our hearts can be dim-witted and dull, if dull hearts become prey for the devil, if the devil can occupy our hearts, if doubting hearts can prevent miracles, if what we treasure possesses our hearts, if God is not our Most Supreme Treasure...* then we're in direst need of renewed hearts.
If God is willing to give us new hearts, if nearness to God purifies our hearts, if nearness to God creates happy hearts, if nearness to kin makes hearts happy, too, if diverse kin unite through faithful hearts, if the Lord rewards obedient hearts, if He regards sincere and engaged hearts, if He regards broken and contrite hearts. if Christ is gentle and humble in heart, if His Word flourishes in humble hearts, if His Word ignites passion in our hearts, if God comes in our hearts by His Spirit, if the Morning Star rises in our hearts... ** then healthy hearts come in relationship with the Lord through His Son and the Gift of His Spirit.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: What are some ways you can guard your hearts?
1) Stay close to His Word and in prayer.
2) Stay close to Spirit-filled believers.
3) Stay obedient to His Commands.
4) Stay humble, sincere and responsive.
5) Stay faithful to Him as your betrothed.
6) Don't make anything else your treasure.
7) Don't let your eyes or thoughts run around.
8) Don't let your heart get cold, hard or dull.
9) Don't consider dividing your heart.
10) Don't think prayer without heart moves Him.
'And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus' (Philippians 4:7).
To Be Continued...
* 'The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; Who can understand it?' (Jeremiah 17:9).
* 'But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath' (Romans 2:5).
* 'For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened' (Romans 1:21).
* 'For this peoples heart has become calloused' (Acts 28:27).
* 'These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me' (Matthew 15:18).
* 'Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known My ways' (Hebrews 3:10).
* 'I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart' (Matthew 5:27).
* 'But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man' (Matthew 15:8).
* 'For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, lest they should understand with their hearts and turn...' (Matthew 13:15).
* 'They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts' (Ephesians 4:18).
* 'When anyone hears the Word of the kingdom, and does not understand It, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart' (Matthew 13:19).
* 'How is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit?' (Acts 5:3).
* 'For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says' (Mark 11:23).
* 'For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also' (Matthew 6:21).
** 'I will give you a new heart and put a new Spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh' (Ezekiel 36:26).
** 'Come near to God and He will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded' (James 4:8).
** 'I saw the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad...' (Acts 2:25-26).
** 'Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts...' (Acts 2:46).
** 'He did not discriminate between us and them, for He purified their hearts by faith' (Acts 15:9).
** 'All the believers were one in heart and mind' (Acts 4:32).
** 'I have found David son of Jesse, a man after My Own Heart; he will do everything I want him to do' (Acts 13:22).
** 'Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord' (Colossians 3:23), 'With sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord' (Colossians 3:22).
** 'A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise' (Psalm 51:17).
** 'Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls' (Matthew 11:29).
** 'But the Seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the Word, retain It, and by persevering produce a crop' (Luke 8:15).
** 'Were not our hearts burning within us while He talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?' (Luke 24:32).
** 'God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, Who has been given to us' (Romans 5:5).
** 'You will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the Morning Star rises in your hearts' (2 Peter 1:19).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Do-Gooders series.