Do-Gooders (Part 89)
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 6:12 (NASB)
Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.
Matthew 26:52 (NASB)*
While we fight the good fight of Jesus Christ, while He commissioned us as His soldiers, while the world today is clearly evil, while media promotes idol worship, while some Christians shout and point mean fingers, while others seem to worship idols, too, while many seclude themselves in proud pews, a few obey and fight differently.
Because God's Word and Spirit have taught them battle-front strategies to help them win:
1) Our real enemy is Satan himself. He and his spirits are invisible. Although they use and influence people, hitting a demon-possessed lunatic is as fruitless now as it was back then.** To fight and win, we must attack the source. Otherwise, we're whacking a stubborn weed, but leaving the root, which grows back stronger.
2) The film, War Room, said to fight through prayer. The Lord God Himself tells us the same thing. Prayer can invoke warrior angels, whom the Lord commissions on our behalf. Prayer can invoke His Holy Spirit, Who flattens mountains and evicts demons. Prayer can change impossible missions to rousing come-from-behind victories.***
3) God's soldiers are offered defensive gear. This piece-by-piece assembly of armor is detailed by Paul, His proven leader. With amazing wins in hostile places, few heroes have survived and thrived better. To study Paul's missionary campaigns is to watch a master for all ages: both in combat and in diplomacy.****
4) Our chief offensive weapon is God's Word. With It, a physically weakened Christ subdued Satan in His desert trials. But remember, Satan knows God's Word, too, and he tried to deceive the hungry Man. Obviously, his deception fell flat. The take-home lesson is that we, God's saints, must examine His Word and know It well.*****
5) In the realm of diverse humanity and all the outsiders who don't know Christ, our best weapons aren't offensive at all. In fact, they're calming, peaceful and helpful. They're Good News, kind words and genuine smiles. They're The Bread of Life and Living Water. They're forgiveness and spiritual fruit: stunning acts which draw people to the Lord.******
Actors, models and talent for Christ, become seasoned, surprising solders.
To Be Continued...
* 'In whatever other cause it may be lawful to use carnal weapons, it is not wise or right to draw the sword for Christ and His Truth' (Ellicott's Commentary on Matthew 26:52).
** The Gerasene Demoniac: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+5%3A1-20&version=NASB
*** The Kendrick Brother's Website and War Room resources: https://kendrickbrothers.com
**** The Armor of God: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians%206:10-18
***** Satan Tempts Jesus: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+4%3A1-13&version=NKJV
****** The Fruit of the Holy Spirit: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=gal+5%3A22-23&version=NKJV