Monday, March 25th, 2019
Do-Gooders: See Like Kids*
I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.**
Matthew 11:25 (NKJV)
Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3 (NKJV)
Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.
Matthew 19:14 (NASB)
I'm a thankful 'Gram' to five little kids. God has allowed me to rediscover how small children see and appreciate living in a way most adults do not. Since Jesus said we must become like them to gain access into Heaven's kingdom, let's consider some entry requirements:
1) Small kids view small things with fascination. Just take a walk with wee ones in the lead and don't think of the time, because they won't. They gaze in awe at rocks, bugs, sticks and trash. What we dismiss they regard carefully. They're open-minded and nothing bores them.
2) They don't judge people by appearances or value treasure in terms of money. Manmade toys amuse them for a minute, but God's creations inspire them longer. They see great potential in piles of dirt. Gloriously, the Lord of Hosts agrees.
3) They live in faith. They trust their providers to give them everything they want and need. They don't worry about food, clothes or homes. They're more than willing to go anywhere a beloved parent wants to take them. Trips, short or long, are viewed as adventures.
4) They have a profound connection with God. They speak in wisdom few grownups can grasp. They expect and accept signs and wonders--without one iota of skepticism. In faith, hope and love, they have no equals, which makes them exemplary forgivers.
5) Their reactions are always authentic, and they don't keep a hidden agenda. What they're feeling is strongly apparent. If it's bad or sad, they move on quickly to a more optimistic point of view. Their passion for living is enormous, which is why most kids fight going to sleep.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: However old you are, act like kids. Try to look at things the way they do. Because if you become small enough, God will lift you to the greatest heights.
## Do-Gooders: See Like Kids (Part 53)
* Previous 5-part Devotion Series, Acting Like Kids: http://careylewisdevotions.com/acting-like-kids-the-issues-part-1
** 'Hast revealed them unto babes--To the poor, the ignorant, and the obscure; the teachable, the simple, the humble' (Barnes Notes on the Bible re: Matthew 11:25).
** 'Babes, therefore, stand in opposition, not to men of sound judgment and reason, but to proud politicians and men of learning, who are so full of themselves that they disdain to receive instruction from others, and who make all their abilities subservient to their advancement in this world.. (Benson Commentary on the Bible re: Matthew 11:25).
** Link to full Bible commentaries: http://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/11-25.htm
NOTE: This series is a republished edit of a 2016 series called, 'Do-Gooders.' In these devotions, you may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' I have not changed this designation. Because in a greater sense, every disciple of Christ acts for Christ, models Christ and stewards His talents, from which God expects a profit.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Do-Gooders series.