My son, eat honey because it is good.
To a hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.
I confess to a lust relationship with sugar--especially cookies, ice cream, and a 'blondie' from Ruby Tuesday. Loving any food may be going too far, but lust is off the cliff. For me, moderation caves in to temptation, which becomes fixation. So I've been fasting sugar for awhile. 'If your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you' (Matthew 18:9).
But clearly God enjoys a good dessert, and He gives us sweets as occasional treats. If you can handle 'occasional' better than I can, have fun! But remember the golden rule of eating right: Everything God makes is good; everything man fakes is bad.
Following is a brief on sweeteners. I encourage you to do your own research. Knowledge is a few clicks away. Don't allow your sweet tooth to give you a blind eye.
1) High Fructose Corn Syrup is everywhere: soft drinks, bread, snacks, and desserts. It's cheaper than sugar, so food moguls make more money when they use it. Consider high fructose corn syrup as the foundation of the obesity epidemic. Link to the Princeton Study.
2) Artificial Sweeteners should not be touched without rubber gloves, much less ingested. Read about it. They're all bad. Here's another crazy fact: artificial sweeteners are linked to weight gain.
3) Agave Nectar is health food hype. It has a bad combination of fructose and sucrose--inviting the metabolic syndrome. Agave.
4) Organic Brown Rice Syrup is another healthy pretender. It's found in nutrition bars, health foods, baby formula, and baby foods. A significant percentage of brown rice syrup has tested positively for arsenic.
OK In Moderation
White sugar: It metabolizes more slowly than the sweet-talkers above. (Interesting note: raw sugar and brown sugar have no healthy advantage over their plain white cousin.)
Pretty Good Guys
1) Stevia has mostly good reviews, with a few question marks. It is almost calorie free.
2) Black Strap Molasses is a healthy by-product of sugar production.
God's Best Sweeteners
1) Honey is an amazing food, and God encourages us to eat it in moderation. Buy it raw and unprocessed with a cloudy consistency.
2) Maple Syrup has health benefits. Buy it pure and unprocessed.
To Be Continued...
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Eating Right series.