The Lord is my Shepherd...
My sheep hear My Voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.
If Jesus is 'The Great Shepherd of the sheep' (Hebrews 13:20, NASB), then we are His sheep. Understanding our role is essential for a good performance. Therefore, consider some sheepish behaviors.****
1) Sheep are followers. They will follow each other, even to death (like jumping off a cliff). But they prefer to follow their shepherd, and they know his voice. Lessons:
A) Learn the Voice of the Great Shepherd and listen to Him.
B) Make sure your pastor sounds like Jesus.
C) Don't follow other sheep.
2) Sheep are pack animals and stay together. Alone, they are relatively defenseless. They know their safety comes in fellowship. Lessons:
A) Don't follow a rabbit trail and get lost.
B) Go into the world, but only with your Shepherd.
C) Find a nice group of sheep and hang with them.
3) Sheep seek light and high ground. They don't like the dark and prefer elevation. When they climb, they can see better, which helps protect them from their enemies. Lessons:
A) Seek the Light.
B) The enemy is prowling for you. Unless you're with your Shepherd, avoid dark places.
C) Take the high ground. Elevation is your destiny.
4) Sheep aren't as smart as many animals, and they're not as smart as their predators. But they learn quickly and remember kindness. Lessons:
A) You're not as smart as you think you are.
B) Only with the Mind of Christ are you brilliant.
C) Learn quickly and remember kindness.
5) Mostly, sheep are gentle and obedient. They are willing to be shorn, even sacrificed. But rams can be aggressive, especially during mating season. They like to butt heads. Lessons:
A) Be gentle: obedient to God and your rulers.
B) Be willing to sacrifice.
C) Try to avoid butting heads.
## Fellowship: His Sheep (Part 24)
* John:10:1-30: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+10%3A1-30&version=NKJV
** The Parable of the Lost Sheep: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+15%3A1-7&version=NKJV
*** The Son of Man Will Judge the Nations: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew+25%3A31-36&version=NKJV
**** The Psychology of Sheep: http://www.heraldmag.org/2004/04ja_8.htm
**** The Behavior of Sheep: http://www.sheep101.info/201/behavior.html
**** Sheep in the Bible: http://www.scienceofcorrespondences.com/sheep-of-the-bible.htm
NOTE: This series is a republished edit of a 2015 series called, 'Fellowship.' In these devotions, you may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' I have not changed this designation. Because in a greater sense, every disciple of Christ acts for Christ, models Christ and stewards His talents, from which God expects a profit.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Fellowship series.