I, even I, am He Who blots out your transgressions for My Own sake; And I will not remember your sins.
Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old.
Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.
Love... keeps no record of wrongs.
What should you choose to forget from this passing year... and the years preceding it?
1) Forget other people's sins, because you're a sinner, too. 'There is none righteous, no, not one' (Romans 3:10, NKJV). 'All our righteous acts are like filthy rags' (Isaiah 64:6, NIV). If not for Jesus, we would all be doomed.
2) Forget the debts owed to you. 'Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors' (Matthew 6:12, NKJV); 'If someone takes your coat, let him have your shirt as well' (Luke 6:29, GNT). Jesus redeemed us. P.S. (We don't own anything anyway.)
3) Forget pain and unhappiness. 'One thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus' (Philippians 3:13-14, NKJV).
4) Forget abandonments and betrayals. Jesus did, from outsiders and insiders. 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do' (Luke 23:34, NKJV). 'Whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also' (Matthew 5:39, NKJV).
5) Forget losses of income, possessions or position. 'But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ... for Whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ' (Philippians 3:7-8, NKJV).
6) Forget your B.C. way of life. 'Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away' (2 Corinthians 5:17, NKJV). 'No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God' (Luke 9:62, NKJV).
7) Forget your mistakes. If you asked His forgiveness, God gave it. Try not to repeat them--but it you mess up again, fess up again. 'If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness' (1 John 1:9, NKJV).
8) Forget the mistakes of your kin, as often as necessary: ' 'Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him...?' Jesus said to him, 'I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven' ' (Matthew 18:21-22, NKJV).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: you are the new generation born of the old--for such a time as this. Never let the enemy turn your face, hands, feet or heart... backwards.
It's only dust. Brush off your feet and move forward.
## Goodbye 2019: What To Forget (Part 1)
NOTE: This is a republished edit of a 2013 devotion series, 'Goodbye Year.' You may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' If you're not a performer, don't be deterred. In truth, every disciple acts for Christ, models Christ and stewards His talents.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Goodbye 2019 series.