If I could ask or beg every Christian who likes media (which is most of them)... NOT to do one seemingly little thing, it would be this:
Don't get starstruck or seek the autograph of any seemingly famous person: singer, actor, pastor, politician or big celebrity (Christian or not). Why?
1) You'd look uncomfortably like the world.
2) You'd be edging up on idol worship.
3) Peter and Paul refused to be worshipped.*
4) God's angels refused to be worshipped, too.**
5) Only One should impress you in that way.
I know we're in the age of media and glamorous stars dominate our news. I know their lives look very exciting, as they entertain and captivate us.
But Jesus died to set the captives free.
Admire sacrificing missionaries who live in danger and deprivation to worship Jesus and spread His Good News... but not rock stars who will quickly crumble.
## Gotcha's Deceits: False Devotion (Part 14)
* 'As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. But Peter lifted him up, saying, 'Stand up; I myself am also a man' ' (Acts 10:25-26, NKJV).
* 'When the crowd saw what Paul had done, they shouted in their local dialect, 'These men are gods in human form!'... But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard what was happening, they tore their clothing in dismay and ran out among the people, shouting, 'Friends, why are you doing this? We are merely human beings--just like you!' ' (Acts 14:11-15, NLT).
** John is referring to God's angel who was assigned to be his guide in the Book of Revelation:
'Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, 'Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy' ' (Revelation 19:10, NASB).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Gotcha! series.