Thursday, September 6th, 2018
Gotcha's Deceits: False Help
The time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
2 Timothy 4:3 (NIV)
You have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
1 John 2:27 (NASB)
Perhaps only God and the Library of Congress know the extent of self-help books. (Second thought... just God).
If we add webinars and life coaches competing to help unhappy people... we reach a mind-bending sum, with millions of options costing billions of dollars.*
Because we're constantly dissatisfied. Because media's fantasy lifestyles spur us to seek the assistance of men.
But The Word says:
'Human help is worthless' (Psalm 108:12, NIV).
'It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man' (Psalm 118:8, KJV).
'Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength...' (Jeremiah 17:5, NLT).
'For you have only one Teacher, the Messiah' (Matthew 23:10).
Bottom line considerations:
1) God's Own Son realized His helplessness apart from His Father, so he sought Him. 'Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by Himself...' (John 5:19, NIV).
2) He told us to follow the same process: 'Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you' (Matthew 6:33, NKJV).
3) Godly counselors are beneficial. They can help help apply His Word to your life: 'And in abundance of counselors there is victory' (Proverbs 24:6, NASB).
## Gotcha's Deceits: False Help (Part 19)
* Interesting Short Article(s)
* 11 Billion Reasons The Self Help Industry Doesn't Want You To Know The Truth About Happiness:
* 19 Self Improvement Industry Statistics and Trends:
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Gotcha! series.