Monday, September 10th, 2018
Gotcha's Demons: Anger & Wrath
Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil.
Ephesians 4:26-27 (NKJV)
People with understanding control their anger; a hot temper shows great foolishness.
Proverbs 14:29 (NLT)
For the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.
James 1:20 (NASB)
First, please know: I believe demons exist... because Jesus said so and He fought them. To me, we're unwise to pretend they don't. We shouldn't dwell on them (nor they in us).* God and His Son must remain our focus.
Even so, Jesus revealed their presence and evicted them from their human hosts. He granted us the knowledge and power to continue His advance against them.**
I've had anger problems all of my life, starting with comic tantrums as a child. But the humor melted as I grew up. Regarding anger's simmer to a boil, I truly felt I couldn't control it.
I prayed to the God I hoped was up there (even though I hadn't yet met His Word). I practiced anger management techniques. Yet beneath the surface, a demon lurked.
When I found Jesus, my entire life changed.
Anger lost his dominant position. But even today, he prowls around me, throwing diverse irritants in my path. I'm embarrassed to say I trip sometimes (when I don't strap on God's footgear of peace).
But at my best, I remember my boots: my Jesus-justice, serpent-stomping boots.***
My advice to anger-challenged people?
1) You can't fight anger alone. Ask God's help.
2) Ask forgiveness and don't beat yourself up.
3) When challenged, isolate yourself and pray.
4) Learn about deliverance and seek it.
5) Deny anger and wrath's claims to your life.
## Gotcha's Demons: Anger & Wrath (Part 23)
* The question of whether demons can exist inside a Spirit-filled believer is debatable, and I won't attempt to state my beliefs here. The only Christian author I have read extensively (other than The Word) is Derek Prince. I recommend his books, including Spiritual Warfare and They Shall Expel Demons. https://www.derekprince.org/Store/Categories/1000003350/DPM_Store.aspx
** Previous devotions:
** A Soldier's Life:
** Bad Spirits:
** Deliverance (50-part series; the link below is for Part 1, What About It?):
*** 'Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you' (Luke 10:19).
*** 'The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet' (Romans 16:20, NIV).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Gotcha! series.