Friday, September 14th, 2018
Gotcha's Demons: Hunger & Gluttony
I will not be mastered by anything.
1 Corinthians 6:12 (NIV)
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.
Romans 13:14 (NKJV)
By itself, hunger is not a demon. Every creature feels this natural need, prompting a refueling of our bodies.
But when hunger teams up with indulgence, when we crave excessive amounts of food, when food thoughts take up too much of our time, when we covet certain taste sensations...
When we're picky, sneaky or determined to eat in ways deleterious to our health, we're dealing with symptoms of gluttony. Is gluttony a demon? I think so.
He has controlled me. God gave me freedom, but gluttony hasn't given up yet. If I give him an ounce, he'll take a pound.
Consider three weighty conclusions:
1. Weight loss diets work for a little while.* But if the root cause is spiritual, can weight normalcy remain permanent? Because gluttony will soon pounce again.
2. God helped me back in 1991, and I was a seemingly hopeless case. Yes, I did some work, but He did far more. We made a deal and God never reneges.
3. In the U.S., gluttony is common. Among Christians, gluttony should be scarce. I propose he should be run out of town.
But even with deliverance notice, our bodies (like buildings) were hurt by him. Nevertheless, evict him with God's help. Then work on gradual reconstruction.
## Gotcha's Demons: Hunger & Gluttony (Part 27)
* Previous Devotions:
* Dieting And Deception:
* Deal Breakers: Poor Eating Habits
* Eating Right (31-part series), beginning with My Story:
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Gotcha! series.