Saturday, September 15th, 2018
Gotcha's Demons: Idolatry & Harlotry
Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord?
Or who may stand in His holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol...
Psalm 24:3-4 (NKJV)
All who worship images are put to shame, those who boast in idols...
Psalm 97:7 (NIV)
Idolatry is a deadly mistake. From Genesis unto Revelation, this tempting crime wooed God's chosen people.
Again and again, they worshipped idols. They loved man-made, visible images more than they loved an invisible God. Why?
Idols are seductively powerful. They tell people what they're itching to hear. They tempt them with the desires of their flesh. But the cost is never disclosed--nor the certainty of eventual failure.
God refuses play seduction games. He tells people what they're needing to know. He promises the desires of their hearts, with full disclosure of the cost, and the certainty of eventual success.
1) Idols are objects of strong devotion.
2) Idols are manufactured images.
3) Modern stars meet idol criteria.
4) Any strong fascination meets it, too.
5) Even mega pastors can be idols.
6) In America, idolatry booms.
7) Saints + idols = harlotry to God.
Because we are espoused to God's Own Son, to love any person or thing more than Christ is marital infidelity.
## Gotcha's Demons: Idolatry & Harlotry (Part 28)
* Previous Devotions:
* American Idols, 5-part series:
* America's Shame, 3-part series:
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Gotcha! series.