Tuesday, September 25th, 2018
Gotcha's Demons: Shyness & Reclusiveness
It is not good for the man to be alone.
Genesis 2:18 (NIV)
Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25 (NIV)
For where two or three have gathered together in My Name, I am there in their midst.
Matthew 18:20 (NASB)
Some demons (like wrath) are big, bold and mean. Others (like shyness) are small and cunning. They con their victims into believing shyness is a personality trait. Been there. Thought that. Deep down, I knew better.
Even so, I was so shy as a kid that I had trouble making eye-contact. Regarding people or social meetings, I became a master of excuses. Regarding church or its activities, I became skeptical of my brethren.
I became so used to being alone that I was content in my lonesomeness.*
That being said, please consider:
1) The Lord's Prayer was given in plural, as we pray for ourselves and our brethren.**
2) Group prayer can accomplish miracles. It is cleansing, healing and powerful.***
3) Christ's body isn't unrelated parts. Each part is mutually dependent.****
4) We all need uplifting and correction. These directives are meant to be in-house.
5) Having a hurtful church experience doesn't mean that we shouldn't try again.*****
## Gotcha's Demons: Shyness & Reclusiveness (Part 38)
* I do think some people are more geared to small gatherings than to large and loud ones, which is fine. As my mom said, 'That's why we have chocolate and vanilla,' or ' 'Each to his own' said the old lady as she kissed the cow.' I also get that alone-times with God are necessary for prayer, reflection and restoration. However, I don't believe demonically induced shyness (sorry to be so blunt), which leads to reclusiveness, is natural, healthy or intended by God.
** 'Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors' (Matthew 6:11-12, NASB).
*** 'Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective' (James 5:16, NIV).
*** 'But if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the Blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin' (1 John 1:7, NASB).
**** 'Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ' (1 Corinthians 12:12, NIV). See full excerpt:
***** 'Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus' (Philippians 3:13-14, NIV).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Gotcha! series.