By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people.
When we're down and needing encouragement,
When we're proud and demanding agreement,
When we're lost and begging for direction,
When we're alone and hoping for true love,
When we're older and hating how we look,
When we're strapped and wanting extra income,
When we're bored and chasing entertainment, or
When we're stuck and looking for a way out...
We can be receptive to flattery: the affirming words we desire to hear.
At best, flattery is a dangerous detour on the road to real happiness. At worst, flattery is a slippery slide into a pit that's hard to escape.
It's like an oil slick on the road of life. If we're rolling, then our wheels lose traction. If we're walking, then our shoes get ruined. Either way, we can end up on our butts.
1. Don't believe in the sweet talk of strangers.*
2. Don't trust employees who always agree.
3. Be thankful and patient--no matter what.
4. Be humble, and ask God for discernment.
5. Be prayerful, and seek the Lord's help first.
## Gotcha's Detours: Flatterers (Part 46)
* Or even preachers. God's Words are uplifting, but they are also correcting. Don't dine with preachers who only offer dessert.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Gotcha! series.