Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!
Avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.
Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.
I've been involved in a lot of debates.* Even when I thought I won, I didn't. Why? As God says repeatedly, they cause strife. Consider:
1) When Christians debate outsiders, we lose. Because the Cross is foolishness to them. They don't know Who, what, why or how we know. Love is the best way to move minds and hearts. If it's undeserved, we example Christ.
2) When Christians debate each other, we risk. Satan loves to cut Christ's body (the church) by fostering divisive arguments. Yes, we are called to correct each other, but only in kind and gentle wisdom.
3) When Christians debate out of pride, we stink. We're like fish outside of Living Water, sizzling in a frying pan of rancor. We don't realize we're no longer clean or how poorly we represent Jesus.
If I was a noted genius (I'm not), if I had prestigious degrees (I don't), if I claimed great understanding (I can't), if I mastered the Bible (I haven't), if I was raised in the faith (I wasn't), if I made very few mistakes (ha ha)...
The sum of my age, wisdom and knowledge is like a speck of dust compared to God. I am altogether unqualified to represent Him well without His help.
Bottom line: The more I age, the less I think I know.. but the younger I hope to get.
## Gotcha's Distractions: Debate (Part 55)
* Previous Devotions:
* Skeptics, The Professional Kind:
* Tough Questions For Christian Performers, Hot Topics:
* Sectarianism: https://careylewisdevotions.com//sectarianism-part-5-jesus-forbids-sectarianism
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Gotcha! series.