The Lord is my Strength and my Shield; my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: don't be homesick for safety. Jesus detailed end-times signs like this one: 'Lawlessness will abound' (Matthew 24:12). Today's violence and decadence may be heralds of His return.
I understand your reasonable desire for security. That desire is natural; it's as old as Adam's fall from grace. So throughout the ages, mankind has been on a quest to stay safe. Consider some ways:
1) We pretend the danger doesn't exist: 'In the days of Lot, people were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all. It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed' (Luke 17:28-30).
2) We trust in means of escape or attack: 'The swift cannot flee nor the strong escape' (Jeremiah 46:6). 'All who draw the sword will die by the sword' (Matthew 26:52). 'Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the Name of the Lord our God' (Psalm 20:7).
3) We trust in other people to save us: 'Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me' (Psalm 41:9). 'Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings, who cannot save' (Psalm 146:3). 'Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind' (Jeremiah 17:5).
4) We trust in our own riches or power: 'People, despite their wealth, do not endure; they are like the beasts that perish. This is the fate of those who trust in themselves, and of their followers, who approve their sayings' (Psalm 49:12-13). 'Those who trust in themselves are fools' (Proverbs 28:26).
5) We trust in fortresses or strong cities: 'They will lay siege to all the cities throughout your land until the high fortified walls in which you trust fall down' (Deuteronomy 28:52). 'When the trumpets sounded... the wall collapsed' (Joshua 6:20). 'Their strong cities will be like forsaken places' (Isaiah 17:9).
6) We trust in false prophets as our idols: with 'Great swelling words of emptiness' (2 Peter 2:18), 'False christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect' (Matthew 24:24). But 'If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit' (Matthew 15:14).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: If God guarantees your safe haven, if Jesus Himself is your Captain, if you've received power from on high, if you're dressed in the armor of God, fear only dereliction of duty.
Continue in His Great Commission.
To Be Continued...
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Homesick series.