King David was extraordinarily open in describing his depression.
His gut-wrenching angst is relatable. He was hit with rejection, betrayal, ridicule, isolation and attack from king, kin, wife, men, close friends and nation.Worse, he was forced to face his own mistakes.
They were huge and seemed unforgivable. David's deep struggle with inner darkness brought tears, sleeplessness and insomnia. Many of us have felt similar pain.So what was hope's role throughout David's plight?
What lessons can we learn from his struggles?
1) In the worst of times, David clung to hope. He knew God was the One Who could help him.
2) In certain Psalms, David complained a lot, but only to God and never to men.
3) God accepted David's whines and complaints. When he repented, God forgave his sins.
4) Eventually, David's optimism brought him back to a glorious life.
5) God never failed to bring David comfort, allies and victorious conclusions.
6) David prophesied Christ's resurrection, showing no depression can hold us down.
7) Therein, hope is a true life-preserver. Within it, we are calmed, soothed and settled.
## Hope: Calms, Soothes & Settles (Part 17)
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Hope series.