Wednesday, June 27th, 2018
Hot Topics... Eating Disorders
Don't you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living.
Romans 6:16 (NLT)
They rebelled and suffered for their sins. They couldn't stand the thought of food, and they were knocking on death's door. 'Lord, help!' they cried in their trouble, and He saved them from their distress.
Psalm 107:17-19 (NLT)
I know a top fashion model (of faith) who became extremely anorexic. She almost died. I've known other talented performers who lived the extremes of bulimia... and still more (like me)* who grew super-sized.
Consider 2 things we have in common:
1) Our relationships with food got twisted. Food attained preeminence over God, and Satan used a fork to strike our souls.
2) We weren't able to see ourselves clearly. Sneak peaks at mirrors whispered lies to us. They taunted us and said we were ugly.
If either condition sounds familiar, consider some positive action steps:
1) Reaffirm God as your Lord--frequently.
2) Face and confess your bad hookups with food.
3) Ask God's help to break eating disorders.
4) Search out Bible Verses regarding food.
5) Find a support group of godly people.
6) Avoid tempting foods or circumstances.
7) Every time you eat, ask God to join you.
* I was a fat kid, who ballooned to 290 pounds by the time I was 16 and 360 pounds at the age of 36. In that hopeless position, I was inspired and rescued by God (which is a whole different story.)
## Hot Topics... Easting Disorders (Part 23)
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Hot Topics series.