Friday, July 20th, 2018
Hot Topics... Mega Hobbies: Shopping
He said to them, 'Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.'
Luke 12:15 (NIV)
I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.
Philippians 4:11 (NKJV)
Godliness with contentment is great gain.
1 Timothy 6:6 (NIV)
If shopping beyond need might lead to greed, then I've been dancing with a bad partner. No matter that our culture pushes it or that countless others dance with him, too.
If our closets, drawers and garages are crammed with stuff we can't count and don't use (most often made in China or elsewhere), then I say...
Welcome to America, where freedom is used to buy abundance. But some kinds of abundance carry chains.
Unlike the man who sought one missing sheep, or the lady who sought one missing coin, we have too much to know what we're missing.*
Therein, when shopping becomes a hobby, when accumulation looks like hoarding, we might consider the following steps:
1) Pause and appreciate all we have now.
2) Learn what godly contentment truly means.
3) Give away the things we don't really need.
4) Find more productive ways to spend our time.
## Hot Topics, Hobbies: Shopping (Part 46)
* The Parables of the Lost Sheep and The Lost Coin: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+15%3A1-10&version=NIV
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Hot Topics series.