Hot Topics... Nationalism
Jesus answered, 'My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm.' Therefore Pilate said to Him, 'So You are a king?' Jesus answered, 'You say correctly that I am a King. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth.'
At best, nationalism is loyalty to one's own country. At worst, it's prejudicial self-absorption or acquisitional warmongering. A grave example of nationalism is Nazi Germany under Hitler.
The opposing approach is globalism, where the world's welfare is our chief concern.
Donald Trump's leadership in these regards has been both criticized and commended.
Christians are wise to read the Words of Christ, to grasp His perspective and copy It. Here's my take:
1) Jesus ministered to Israel first through His in-Person teaching and healing. Secondarily, He helped outsiders.*
2) He sent His disciples into the world, therein globalizing His ministry for the benefit of all willing hearts.
How does this translate to America or any other nation or culture?
1) Minister at home. Love your kin in Christ.
2) Move into the world, as God compels you.
Media has made all people neighbors. By helping them and representing Christ, some distant neighbors will become close kin.
## Hot Topics: Nationalism (Part 49)
* Among others, Jesus helped a Roman Centurion, a Canaanite woman's daughter, foreign lepers and an entire Samaritan village.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Hot Topics series.