Hot Topics... Prolonging Life
In those days Hezekiah became mortally ill. And Isaiah the prophet... said to him, 'Thus says the Lord, 'Set your house in order, for you shall die and not live.' ' Then he turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, saying, 'Remember now, O Lord, I beseech You, how I have walked before You in truth and with a whole heart and have done what is good in Your sight.' And Hezekiah wept bitterly.
King Hezekiah was a rarity. He was one of Judah's few good kings.
But he got sick and didn't want to die. From God, he begged (and got) fifteen more years. As the end of Chapter 20 reveals,* these years saw the king make a grave mistake: one that would later destroy his kingdom.
Most people don't want to die now, either. We take drugs and other drastic measures to avoid death--or try to look younger.
For outsiders, I completely get it. They fear what will happen beyond death's door, or many think.. this life is all we've got.
But for insiders, what are we thinking? Don't we know...?
1) Life with Christ will exceed everything here.
2) We'll be healthy, joyful and among kin.
3) Beauty beyond reckoning awaits us.
4) God will care for family left behind.
5) God's timing was, is and will be perfect.
6) We have nothing to fear, only great gain.
7) Why choose quantity over quality?
## Hot Topics: Prolonging Life (Part 52)
* Entire Chapter, full story of King Hezekiah's request for a prolonged life and its result: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2kings20&version=NASB
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Hot Topics series.