Wednesday, October 25th, 2017
Imperfect Heroes (Part 17)
The Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, 'What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?'
And the Angel of the Lord said to him... 'Behold, I have come out to stand against you, because your way is perverse before Me. The donkey saw Me and turned aside from Me these three times. If she had not turned aside from Me, surely I would also have killed you by now, and let her live.'
Numbers 22:28, 31-33 (NKJV)
Can a donkey be a hero for God? Can she try and help her human owner? Can a dumb animal communicate? Yes, yes, and compared to stupid people, animals are incredibly brilliant.
In Heaven, they speak. On earth, they speak, too, but we're not wise enough to understand, at least not the majority of us.
In the story of the prophet, Balaam, the king of Moab offered him rewards to curse Moses and God's chosen people. Quite clearly Balaam was tempted to stray, but his donkey saw the Angel of God, bowed down before Him and saved her master.
Consider some lessons humans can learn:
1) Animals aren't dumb. They deserve respect.
2) Humans can be dense, cruel and selfish.
3) God can speak through anyone, any time.
4) Even prophets can be tempted by wealth.
5) All of God's creations are heroic.
To Be Continued...
* The Story of Balaam, the Donkey and the Angel: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers+22%3A21-39
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Imperfect Heroes series.