Tuesday, October 31st, 2017
Imperfect Heroes (Part 23)
'O Lord, how shall I deliver Israel? Behold, my family is the least in Manasseh, and I am the youngest in my father's house.' But the Lord said to him, 'Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat Midian as one man.' So Gideon said to Him, 'If now I have found favor in Your sight, then show me a sign that it is You Who speak with me.'
Judges 6:15-17 (NASB)
Gideon didn't come from noble stock.* Judging by God's first greeting, he was brave, but courage didn't mean he wasn't scared. He could hardly believe God would choose Him, so he asked the Lord to give him three signs. God agreed, and Gideon got busy.
1. He destroyed his own father's idols and did likewise throughout his area. Therefore, an angry mob sought to kill him.
2. Nevertheless, he raised a large army: men who would follow him into battle. But God reduced it to 300 men.
3. They routed a far greater opponent. Gideon became Israel's 4th judge, and the Lord gave them 40 years of peace.
1. Bring down false idols, even in your house. You may un-stupify your family.
2. Through God, the weakest becomes the strongest, proven over and over in Scripture.
3. By faith and grit, you can become a hero, uplifting people everywhere you go.
To Be Continued...
* Short article: What can we learn from the life of Gideon? https://www.gotquestions.org/life-Gideon.html
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Imperfect Heroes series.