Saturday, November 4th, 2017
Imperfect Heroes (Part 27)
However, his father and mother did not know that it was of the Lord, for He was seeking an occasion against the Philistines. Now at that time the Philistines were ruling over Israel.
Judges 14:4 (NASB)
Among all of God's amazing heroes, perhaps Samson seems the most imperfect. The story of Samson (and Delilah) is like an epic Hollywood movie. Because this duo is relatable...
Because love, lust and war are compelling; because most of us have been betrayed, too... And at end of his tragic drama, when Samson brought down the enemy's house, Israel was freed from Philistine rule.
Please consider some details and questions:
1) Samson covers three Chapters in Judges. God reveals His star's sins, guts and glory.
2) The Book of Judges covers a time when morality was a personal choice.*
3) Bible scholars debate and disagree on God's involvement in Samson's bold sins.**
4) Samson's place in the Hebrew's Hall of Fame puts him on God's list of notable stars.***
5) Could Samson's story speak to God's purpose in the lawless world evident today?
Because 'We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose' (Romans 8:28, NASB). Because God shows Samson as one of those.
So let's not think we're holier than he. Instead, let us be strong, bold and faithful.
To Be Continued...
* 'Everyone did what was right in his own eyes' (Judges 16:6, 21:25, ESV).
** Excellent, thought-provoking article on Samson: A Study of Samson: Faith and Folly, https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/911-study-of-samson-faith-and-folly-a
** Short article: What can we learn from the life of Samson?https://www.gotquestions.org/life-Samson.html
*** Hebrews 11 (specifically Verse 32): https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=hebrews+11&version=NLT
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Imperfect Heroes series.