I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
Jesus named Peter* as His #1: the future leader of His growing church. Clearly, Peter was in Christ's inner circle, along with the two sons of Zebedee. Only these three were allowed to witness several miraculous occasions.
But we all know when this bold fisherman, the one who first called Jesus Messiah, the one who chose to step out of the boat, the one who spoke up with new ideas, the one who pulled a sword in His defense, was also the one who would deny Him... when fear temporarily took control.
But here's an amazing thing about God: He forgives. He forgives and He forgives...
Peter was restored by God's forgiveness. Thereupon, Peter's gift of leadership was expressed to its fullest potential. So what are some lessons he can teach us?
1) Our past sins do not forfeit our futures.
2) The Lord's mercy is immeasurable.
3) Peter truly repented. So must we.
4) Jesus rewarded bold stepper-outers.
5) God is calling for our boldness today.
To Be Continued...
* Previous AMTC Devotion: Why Peter? http://amtcdevotions.org/why-peter
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Imperfect Heroes series.