Monday, November 27th, 2017
Imperfect Heroes (Part 49)
'Unless I see in His Hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His Side, I will not believe...'
'Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.'
John 20:25, 29 (NKJV)
Is Doubting Thomas a righteous nickname?* I don't think so. He was much more than that. Thomas was a courageous questioner: brave enough to ask what others would not;** brave enough to risk a perilous trip;*** brave enough to request more evidence.
His frankness about his unsure status reminds me of the dad's sincerity about the deliverance of his son: 'The father of the child cried out and said with tears, 'Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!' ' (Mark 9:24, NKJV).
Therein, consider some revelations:
1) Honesty about our uncertainties is acceptable to the Lord of Truth. Gideon is another case in point.
2) People come to faith in different ways: by words, dreams, works or life-changing events; some by testimonies and some by sight.
3) God's desire for each person's salvation is so great that He individually provides exactly what is needed to believe.
4) Jesus didn't condemn sincere Thomas. Instead, He willingly fulfilled his need as one more demonstration of His love.
To Be Continued...
* Previous AMTC Devotion: The Question Of Salvation, Conclusion, http://amtcdevotions.org/the-question-of-salvation-part-11-conclusion-follow-me
* Previous AMTC Devotion: Skeptics, The Show-Me Kind, http://amtcdevotions.org/skeptics-part-3-the-show-me-kind
* Short article: The Apostle Thomas Was Not a Doubter, http://crossexamined.org/the-apostle-thomas-was-not-a-doubter/
** 'Thomas said to Him, 'Lord, we don't know where You are going, so how can we know the way?' ' (John 14:5, NIV).
*** 'Therefore Thomas, who is called Didymus, said to his fellow disciples, 'Let us also go, so that we may die with Him' (John 11:16, NASB)
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Imperfect Heroes series.