Servants, be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable. For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly. For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if, when you do what is right and suffer for it, you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.
For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an Example for you to follow in His steps...
When slavery was legally annulled, when labor conditions seemed to improve, most workers were treated fairly, weren't they?
Surely, our 21st century world has bypassed the tyrants in Bible times. The U.S. and other modern nations wouldn't tolerate mean bosses, would they?
Take a look at some American stats:
** The U.S. has the largest income inequality in the world.
** The U.S. has the highest prison population in the world.
** The U.S. has 1.5 million people living in slavery.
** The U.S. has 39.7 million people living in poverty (2017).
** The U.S. has 26 million people still uninsured.
** The U.S. has the highest Rx cost in the world.
** The U.S. has one in every six people on food stamps.
** The U.S. has the highest divorce rate in the world.
** The U.S. has the highest # of one-person households in the world.
** The U.S. has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the world.
** The U.S. has the largest national debt in the world.
** The U.S. has the highest pornography production in the world.
** The U.S. has the highest media production in the world.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Untold millions, both here and abroad, are persecuted by mean bosses, including...
1. Officially legal slave masters (prison guards confining innocents) in repressive governments worldwide.
2. Nationally permitted sweat shops (workers paid pennies on the dollar) employing children by the millions.***
3. Cultures of religious extremism where vast numbers of women and kids are considered to be property.
4. Bosses who are harassing bigots (managers here, there and everywhere) who seem to get away with bad stuff.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: When poor people barely make ends meet, many choose to endure mean bosses, because they don't want to lose their jobs. Or perhaps they're bound unwillingly. Or perhaps they're suffering for God.
Indeed, God's Words about mean bosses differ from most views of entitlement. He says to work well and wait it out. He will avenge every cruelty. He will deliver with certainty.
Your high profile work in media gives you a platform to help the poor. So bring light to their unjust treatment, and bring everyone you can to Christ. The Best Boss will dethrone mean bosses.
## Judgment: Mean Bosses (Part 31)
* 'Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men, knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free. And masters, do the same things to them, and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him' (Ephesians 6:5-9).
** Stats: 15 Ways The United States Is The Best (At Being The Worst): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/29/american-exceptionalism_n_4170683.html
** Stats: 55 Things About America You May Not Know: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-11/55-things-about-america-you-may-not-know
** Stats: Human Trafficking: http://arkofhopeforchildren.org/child-trafficking/child-trafficking-statistics (1.5 million in the U.S. in 2012)
** Stats: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2015/cb15-157.html
** Stats: The 30 biggest media companies in the world: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-30-biggest-media-owners-in-the-world-2016-5/#19-cctv--408-billion-in-media-revenue-12
*** 7 Countries With Horrific Sweatshop Situations: http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-shocking/7-countries-with-horrific-sweatshop-situations/
NOTE: This is a republished edit of a 2016 devotion series, 'Judgment.' You may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' If you think you're not in show business, think again. Every disciple in every field performs for Christ. Shakespeare said, 'All the world's a stage and all its men and women merely players.' Mostly true. But you're not 'merely players.' You are messengers and ambassadors for the King of kings.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Judgment 2020 series.