Monday, September 5th, 2016
Judgment (Part 19)
Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:28-29 (NASB)
God makes a home for the lonely;
He leads out the prisoners into prosperity.
Psalm 68:6 (NASB)
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.
Hebrews 13:2 (NASB)
For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in.
Matthew 25:35 (NASB)
In our patriotic nationalism, in our hunt for illegal immigrants, in our me-first, them-last hard heartedness, in our look-the-other-way apathy, in our concern over our own fortunes, in our disregard of their misery, in our fear of a few evil implants, in our worries that we won't have enough, in our turning away refugee boats...
1) Are we repeating the awful coldness we showed toward the Jews fleeing Hitler? Because all nations refused them entry, or allowed just the tiniest quotas of families fleeing death camps to come. Including America and Europe. We literally turned boatloads away.*
2) How does God feel about immigration? Does he look at outsiders hatefully, or does He love indiscriminately? Do you think He only wants to save you, or does He desire 'All men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the Truth' (1 Timothy 2:4)?
3) Should we fret about limited supplies, as if we might not have enough to share? Is it men or God Who supplies our needs according to His riches in glory? Will He punish our generosity, or will He bless it like fishes and loaves?
Aren't we measured by how we treat the poor? 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me' (Matthew 25:40).**
Actors, models and talent for Christ: You are now ambassadors for Christ, and you're on a recruiting mission. Don't join the hateful majority who fear and scorn hopeful immigrants, suffering the direst conditions. Welcome everyone into your Hope. Welcome everyone into your home.
To Be Continued...
* Short article, The U.S. Government Turned Away Thousands of Jewish Refugees, Fearing That They Were Nazi Spies: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/us-government-turned-away-thousands-jewish-refugees-fearing-they-were-nazi-spies-180957324/?no-ist
* Short article: In 1938, 67% of Americans thought we should keep Jewish refugees fleeing Hitler out (scroll down to see the chart). https://fee.org/articles/on-the-eve-of-holocaust-americans-overwhelmingly-rejected-jewish-refugees/
** The Son of Man will Judge the Nations: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mat+25%3A31-46&version=NKJV
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Judgment series.