Because America loves the dollar,
And lobbyists pay to play in Congress;
Because the food industry lobbies hard,
And some FDA standards are too soft;*
Because consumers lust after trifles:
Tasty tidbits that tickle their fancies;
Because factories can make that happen...
Cheaper, faster and easier than farms...
Because processed snacks are edible hype:
Quick sensations that cannot satisfy;
Because cows are fed corn instead of grass,
So they get sick on what they shouldn't eat;
Because antibiotics are needed,
And growth hormones make them bigger faster;
Because mega-farms supply our pantries,
And profit is their primary concern...
Because chemicals help them save money,
So they spray and spread them liberally;
Because American moms work so hard,
And most can't find the time to cook from scratch;
Because fast food seems to be an answer,
But fast rarely produces anything good;
Because we've been spoiled by ready access,
And we're not used to waiting anymore...
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Tainted food pervades America. Many ill effects are clearly seen. Among industrialized nations, the U.S. falls flat in food standards.** So what can and should you do to help?
1) Become aware and eat healthfully. Fitness will help you in media. Even more, you have a destiny to become examples for your fans.
2) Stand up to giant food lobbyists. Be like David and refuse to faint, ignore the bullies or join the chumps. Where you can, advocate for clean food.
3) Most people can't afford organic, so tainted foods are their main diet. Even so, we've got an antidote: Thank God anyway, and He'll clean it:
'For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is SANCTIFIED by means of the Word of God and prayer' (1 Timothy 4:4).
## Judgment: Tainted Food (Part 36)
* Short article: Experts Say Lobbying Skewed the U.S. Dietary Guidelines: http://time.com/4130043/lobbying-politics-dietary-guidelines/
* Short article: The Politics of Meat: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/politics/
* Short article: New Harvard study reveals Institutional Corruption of Pharmaceuticals and how FDA cannot be trusted with public safety: http://seattleorganicrestaurants.com/vegan-whole-food/institutional-corruption-of-pharmaceuticals-how-FDA-cannot-be-trusted-with-public-safety.php
* Short chart: Food & Drug Administration, Influence and Lobbying: https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/agencysum.php?id=135
** 13 Ways the EU Beats the U.S. on Food Safety; http://www.ecowatch.com/13-ways-the-eu-beats-the-u-s-on-food-safety-1881850175.html
NOTE: This is a republished edit of a 2016 devotion series, 'Judgment.' You may see notes to 'Actors, Models & Talent for Christ.' If you think you're not in show business, think again. Every disciple in every field performs for Christ. Shakespeare said, 'All the world's a stage and all its men and women merely players.' Mostly true. But you're not 'merely players.' You are messengers and ambassadors for the King of kings.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Judgment 2020 series.