Matthew 16 (Part 15)
Keys Of The Kingdom
You are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven...
Matthew 16:18-19 (NKJV)
Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season?
Matthew 24:45 (NKJV)
Jesus Christ is called The Gate and The Door. His saints are called servants and doorkeepers.* They're entrusted with the keys to The Door, both allowing and denying entry to the Lord's home: the kingdom of heaven.**
Back then, Peter and the first apostles worked ceaselessly within the early church to use these keys as Jesus directed. Even so, their Letters reveal problems. Insincere believers entered the church and tried to pervert the causes of Christ. Likewise, consider a few of the ways modern churches can mishandle these keys.
1) Poverty-stricken people are not fed, although Jesus gave His Life to serve them.
2) Homeless alcoholics are not noticed, although Living Water could revive them.
3) Desperate refugees are not sheltered, although God's Word instructs us otherwise.
4) Scantily dressed women are not welcomed, although love should be their first covering.
5) Bed-bound invalids are not visited, although this pain should be shared by their kin.
6) Hopeless prisoners are not regarded, although their chains can be broken by Christ.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: A window of opportunity has been opened by the Lord Himself in the fortress of entertainment. Through it, you can enter, rise and shine. You can tend, mend, cover and regard. You hold the Key: God's Holy Spirit. Through you, outsiders can see inside. Through Him, they can become insiders.***
Being part of a church without walls, an unseen church of the unseen God, allows you to bypass church mishmash, hold His keys in Hand-to-hand contact, and open the Door to His kingdom to the seeking, hurting hearts you meet.****
To Be Continued...
* The Parable of The Faithful Servant and the Evil Servant: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mat24%3A45-51&version=NKJV
* The Doorkeeper: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+13%3A33-37&version=NKJV
** 'When the Saviour says, therefore, he will give to Peter the keys of the kingdom of heaven, He means that He will make him the instrument of opening the door of faith to the world, the first to preach The Gospel to both Jews and Gentiles' (Barnes Notes on the Bible): http://biblehub.com/commentaries/barnes/matthew/16.htm
** Additional short article: What are the keys of the kingdom https://www.gotquestions.org/keys-of-the-kingdom.html
*** Bible Topics, Pilgrims and Strangers: http://www.bible-topics.com/Pilgrims-and-Strangers.html
**** See Matthew 25:31-46: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mat+25%3A31-46&version=NKJV