Monday, July 10th, 2017
Name Tags: You Are... (Part 11)
The people esteemed them highly. And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women...
Acts 5:13-14 (NKJV)
To say we're believers seems obvious. Believing is vital for salvation.
'If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved' (Romans 10:9, NIV).
But James is blunt: belief is not enough. 'You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe and tremble!' (James 2:19, NKJV).
Therein, what we do based on our beliefs and the whole-heartedness of our beliefs rules our lives here, now and eternally.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Consider a few 'musts' and 'must nots' regarding believers in Jesus:
* Believers must be hospitable: 'Share with the Lord.s people who are in need. Practice hospitality' (Romans 12:13, NIV).
* Believers must encourage their kin: 'It gave me great joy when some believers came and testified about your faithfulness to the truth, telling how you continue to walk in it' (3 John 1:3, NIV).
* Believers must show strong confidence: 'Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position' (James 1:9, NIV).
* Believers must be wary of frauds: 'This matter arose because some false believers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves' (Galatians 2:4, NIV).
* Believers must stand firm with their kin: 'Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings' (1 Peter 5:9, NIV).
* Believers must not be naysayers: 'But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment... And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell' (Matthew 5:22, NIV).
* Believers must not show favoritism. 'My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism' (James 2:1, NIV).
* Believers must not be still and silent: 'But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?' (James 2:20, NKJV).
* Believers must not copy the world: 'Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God' (Romans 12:2, NKJV).
* Believers must not grieve like others: 'Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope' (1 Thessalonians 4:13, NIV).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Believers in Christ must follow Him: in words, deeds, love, values and lifestyle. Don't let pastors become your models. Don't believe in them more than than in Him--which necessitates knowing Him well. He gave us His Word for that purpose. Study It as your most crucial Script.
To Be Continued...
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.