Name Tags: You Are... (Part 41)
Come, follow Me.
If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.
If we profess ourselves to be Christians, then mature saints should be following Christ, which gives us the name tag of followers. But first, key questions should answered, like... What's the definition of following?*
1. To come after.
2. To move behind in the same direction.
3. To accept as a guide or leader; to accept the authority of or give allegiance to.
4. To conform; to comply; to act in accordance with; to obey.
So, if we're following our Lord, are we...
1. Coming after Him since He left the earth? Certainly, yes.
2. Moving behind Him toward God's kingdom? Hopefully, yes.
3. Accepting Him as our chosen Leader? Mostly yes, but we can forget sometimes.
4. Conforming to and complying with Him? Acting like Him and obeying His Words? Often, no, not when we're comfortable.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Following Christ is a tough Order. Conforming our earthly lives to His, acting in the fruit of His Spirit,** obeying Him in unselfishness and compelling generosity... are printed on back of this name tag. His Fine Print must be read and re-read. It must be memorized and practiced.
Because calling ourselves followers is a worse than meaningless title without the real chops to back it up.
But if we call ourselves followers with a dazzling off-stage performance, some fans will be intrigued and compelled to ask: Who's the One you're following?
To Be Continued...
* Online definitions of follow: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/follow?s=t
** 'But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law' (Galatians 5:22-23, NASB).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.