Name Tags: You Are... (Part 50)
Great multitudes followed Him, and He healed them all.
In the days when Jesus walked the earth, countless people were amazingly healed. When we're sick or we see loved ones suffer, their stories inspire us into prayer--which is good and perfectly biblical:
'The prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much' (James 5:15-16, NKJV).
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Some of you study breakdowns daily. Consider this breakdown on healing for your character's development:
1) Hope: 'Faith is the substance of things hoped for' (Hebrews 11:1, NKJV). So hope precedes faith as its vision. People who have a wish to be healed must see themselves as healthy and whole. They must speak hopeful (not hopeless) words.
2) Faith: 'Without faith it is impossible to please God' (Hebrews 11:6, NKJV). So why would our Lord heal the faithless? If faith can move mountains in our lives, if illness and injury are bluffs, faith helps you call the enemy's bluff.
3) Truth/Confession: 'Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!' (Mark 9:24, NKJV). If we're frank about our shortcomings and confess before God and others, He regards sincere humility. It is a stepping stone to healing.
4) Initiative: 'They removed the roof above Him' (Mark 2:4, NASB).* Throughout the ministry of Jesus, fans went the extra mile to see Him. They were not passively expectant. They sought, went, risked, raised roofs and spoke up.
5) Perseverance: 'A widow in that town... kept coming to him' (Luke 18:3, NIV).** God and the world have this in common; Those who persevere take home the prize. By default, quitters can't be winners.
6) Patience: 'She had been bent double for eighteen years' (Luke 13:11, NLT). Patience to receive God's promises (healing, rewards or deliverance) is illustrated throughout His Word. We must trust and endure to receive.
7) A Lemonade Stand; 'Each day he was put beside the Temple gate... so he could beg' (Acts 3:2). If you were cast as a lame beggar, would you make the best of a sour deal? Because God rewards good attitudes.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: Whether healing comes soon or later, it will come if we practice our part.***
To Be Continued...
* Full Verse: 'Being unable to get to Him because of the crowd, they removed the roof above Him; and when they had dug an opening, they let down the pallet on which the paralytic was lying' (Mark 2:4, NASB).
* The story of the healed paralytic also shows the value of intercession by loving friends who go the extra mile.
** The Parable of the Persistent Widow: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2018:1-8&version=NIV
*** Previous 17-part AMTC Devotion Series, Impossible Healings: http://amtcdevotions.org/impossible-healings-part-1-the-ministry-of-jesus.
*** Some healings are concluded only at death. Why certain faithful people of excellent character must wait is for God to know and us to discover. Perhaps one reason is they exhibit such grace in suffering that countless people are brought to Christ from their examples.
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.