Sunday, September 3rd, 2017
Name Tags: You Are... (Part 66)
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Matthew 5:4 (NKJV)
Hollywood, which leads much of the world, mourns for politically correct causes, but ignores the persecuted Christians or other forms of human suffering that don't fit within its favored view points.
Closer to home, many churches ignore the spiritual starvation of children who gobble the junk food of pop culture, which never fills and depletes them further. They seldom venture beyond their high walls.
'And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold' (Matthew 24:12, NKJV). 'We played funeral songs, and you didn't mourn' (Matthew 11:17, NLT).
But the Bible says, 'Weep with those who weep. (Romans 12:15, NASB).
Actors, models and talent for Christ, consider some Words about mourning:
1) 'Jesus wept' (John 11:35, NKJV). Publicly. More than once. With His sad friends. For Jerusalem. For the pain and loss God's people faced. Ought you not to mourn in sympathy?*
2) 'The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning' (Ecclesiastes 7:4, NIV).** You are wise to meditate on death, since it's the door to eternity. Don't dwell there, but neither ignore it.
3) Do not 'Sorrow as others who have no hope' (1 Thessalonians 4:13, NKJV).*** Regarding your own loved ones who die, show the world your confidence in Christ: that your hard loss is not forever.
4) 'Godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation... but the sorrow of the world produces death' (2 Corinthians 7:10, NKJV). To be sorrowful for our sins is good. To be sad for worldly losses is not.
5) 'If one member suffers, all the members suffer with it' (1 Corinthians 12:26, NKJV). Don.t forget kin suffering elsewhere. Mourn with them. Help as you are able.
To Be Continued...
* 'If one member suffers, all the members suffer with it' (1 Corinthians 12:26, NKJV).
** 'The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure' Ecclesiastes 7:4 (NIV)... full Verse.
*** (full Verse) 'For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death' (2 Corinthians 7:10, NKJV).
*** (New Living Translation) 'For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There's no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death' (2 Corinthians 7:10, NLT).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.