Thursday, July 6th, 2017
Name Tags: You Are... (Part 7)
The Aroma Of Christ
Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those who are being saved and by those who are perishing. To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life-giving perfume. And who is adequate for such a task as this?
You see, we are not like the many hucksters who preach for personal profit. We preach the word of God with sincerity and with Christ's authority, knowing that God is watching us.
2 Corinthians 2:15-17 (NLT)*
Heartfelt offerings and earnest prayers are pleasing aromas to our Father.** But the world's most unforgettable scent was the death and resurrection of Christ. Those who would hate Him became more enraged. Those who would love Him became more intrigued.
They were drawn to His kin as to fresh air. Because the disciples He left behind were supernaturally attractive: radiating a life-giving perfume. By their scent, light, words, deeds and by baptism, the first century church grew fast and strong. Through oppression, it grew even stronger.
Actors, models and talent for Christ, consider some blessings and trials in bearing the aroma of Christ:
1) Blessing: You and your kin, even without words, even without knowing each other, are drawn together like two magnets: providing fellowship and support in areas all over the world.
2) Blessing: Many people who aren't yet your kin search for reasons to be around you. The aroma of Christ beckons them: pulling them closer to their Creator through the light and love of His children.
3) Trial: You and your foes, even without words, even without knowing each other, feel an invisible repulsion. You, as a lover of enemies, still offer kindness. Your foe does not.
4) Trial: Therein, you suffer causeless disdain in varying life situations. Through non-published discrimination, you may lose roles, raises and prizes, because you bear the scent of your King.
To Be Continued...
* 2 Corinthians 2:15-17 (New King James Version): https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Corinthians+2%3A15-17&version=NKJV
** 'You shall offer with the bread seven lambs of the first year, without blemish, one young bull, and two rams. They shall be as a burnt offering to the Lord, with their grain offering and their drink offerings, an offering made by fire for a sweet aroma to the Lord' (Leviticus 23:18, NKJV).
** 'Walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma' (Ephesians 5:2, NKJV).
** 'Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints' (Revelation 5:8. NKJV).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.