Friday, September 8th, 2017
Name Tags: You Are... (Part 71)
Pilgrims and Sojourners
Blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
Whose heart is set on pilgrimage.
Psalm 84:5 (NKJV)
For we are aliens and pilgrims before You,
As were all our fathers;
Our days on earth are as a shadow...
1 Chronicles 29:15 (NKJV)
I believe mature saints must understand and fully embrace this unsettling truth: earth isn't our home. We are visitors. We are pilgrims on a sacred mission. We are here on temporary visas.
* We're not here to build empires of success. We're here to help build the kingdom of God.
* We're not here to display wealthy lifestyles. We're here to present a humble Savior.
* We're not here to become self-centered stars. We're here to reflect one absolute Star.
* We're not here to hunker down with our kin. We're here to stand up for Christ in the world.
* We're not here to have fun and play with toys. We're here to work hard and carry a cross.
* We're not here to win mankind's approval. We're here to deny it matters at all.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: This name tag is not easy to wear. Neither is it easily spotted. Hint: it's most often seen in two groups:
1) Among poor or persecuted saints who've endured the fires of affliction and shine brightly with the Light of God.
2) Among saint chewing on God's tough Words who've distanced and disciplined themselves from selfishness through serving others.
I'm not sure I fit in either group or that I wear this name tag enough. But let us all aspire to wear it. It's who we are and what we must do.
'Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul...' (1 Peter 2:11, NKJV).
To Be Continued...
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.