Friday, July 7th, 2017
Name Tags: You Are... (Part 8)
Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NKJV)
I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14 (NKJV)
Studying God's Playbook seriously,
Following my Captain's written Orders,
Hitting the devil with the Word of God,
Staying on the field without turning back,
Running toward the goals my Coach assigned,
Pausing and reaching to help others,
Going deeper and higher in prayer,
Pushing through some hairy situations,
Refusing to settle down on the bench,
Multiplying the talents I've been given,
Facing the naysayers with confidence,
Giving God the glory for my best plays,
Denying temptations that weaken me,
Exercising my faith regularly,
And thinking of the team more than myself...
Are my efforts toward athleticism. Because I'm not a physical athlete, but I still like to cheer for a good game.
Actors, models and talent for Christ: stars on football fields and mission fields share many crucial character traits:
1) They plan to stay in it to win it.
2) They expect discipline and hard work.
3) They understand the enemy's game.
4) They can take a hit and get back up.
5) They brush off small losses and move on.
6) They build muscle during their off times.
7) They persistently believe they'll win.
8) They are kind to fans and supporters.
9) They stay focused on the winning goal.
The Lord considers you His athletes.*
To Be Continued...
* Two more thoughts/Verses to consider:
* Look what happens at the end of the race: 'I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing' (2 Timothy 4:7-8).
* Never gloat in your victory:
'Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;
Lest the Lord see it, and it displease Him,
And He turn away His wrath from him' (Proverbs 24:17-18).
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.