Monday, September 18th, 2017
Name Tags: You Are... (Part 80)
You are the salt of the earth...
Matthew 5:13 (NKJV)*
Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.
Colossians 4:6 (NKJV)**
Most saints know they're called the salt of the earth. In my research for today's devotion, I discovered countless ways to use salt. Currently and historically, salt's purposes and benefits are huge. But for now, let's examine three key points:
1) In Bible days, salt could be a paycheck. It was tremendously valuable. Therein, disciples of Christ are treasures. Nevertheless, demons of worthlessness sometimes chase and taunt the children of God. If you've been chased like me, submit to God, resist lying demons and watch them flee.
2) Salt preserves freshness and prevents decay. Nothing in this world is fresher than Christ, and no one is more corrupt than Satan. While he paints God's Word as irrelevant, His saints must show their Lord is new and real. We are called to preserve His legacy and to build on the foundation He laid.
3) Salt is a primary spice for our food. Likewise, saints should add flavor to the world and not contain themselves behind church doors. In terms of witnessing Christ, consider: Salt tastes best when it is lightly sprinkled, but too much salt makes food inedible.
Therein, bring God's zest to every table, but do so gently among outsiders.
To Be Continued...
* Short article: Salt of the Earth: http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/salt-of-the-earth/
* Interesting article: You are the Manure of the Earth: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2016/october/you-are-manure-of-earth.html
** See Barnes Notes on the Bible re: Col 4:6: http://biblehub.com/commentaries/colossians/4-6.htm
P.S. To read the other devotions in this series, please see the Name Tags: You Are... series.